The only post on this blog in English, because I want to thank you all for the past 3 weeks. For the first time in maybe 6 or years I’ve been away from home longer than 3 weeks. And because of you it was one of the best trips I ever made. I think I was so fortunate to meet all of you and to discover the city together. Because of you I was able to be myself and to surprise myself now and then. I hope I somehow did the same for you and that you will remember this trip the way like I remember it. Of course it was inevitable that I would create some boxes for all of you…or at least your country…
Bordeaux in 20 themes:
- Book: Still reading the fucking Light of August by James Faulkner
- Movies : World War Z, Mud, Lilja 4-ever, Biutiful, Guess who’s coming to diner
- Food : Canard avec frites, Tiramisu du maison, strawberry soup !
- Drink : Oasis and Moelleux 🙂 In Bordeaux it’s legal to drink sweet wine
- Music : Papaoutai Stromae
- Clothes : shorts and havananas
- Bar : Le jungle bar
- Bus : 4
- Weather : every day between 30 en 40 degrees
- Beach : Le Porge Ocean !
- Running gags: all the jokes about Salsa, Stefan’s unfriendly attitude towards women and following a French course Rodrigo style (always late or not showing up at all)
- Best spot in town : Place du mirroir
- Biggest surprise : The Swiss
- Biggest disappointment : My shower
- Most embarrassing moment : Almost getting arrested for drinking in public
- Favorite French phrase: ca marche, quelle histoire, avoir un ticket avec…
- Funniest moment: The guy trying to catch the bus and the condoms in the swimming pool
- Best activity: Horse riding in the Medoc area
- Best thing heard about the Dutch: “They are everywhere.”
- Best quote about me: “You are a lemon.”
Best quotes :
By Lola : He’s so handsome I can already see him as the father of my son. (or everything with ‘fuck’)
By Jens : No, my wife would not be jealous. She would be jealous if you were all 40 years old.
By Rodrigo : I promise I will be on time tomorrow (and of course : absolutely yes !)
By Sina : Boys are just awesome !
By Stefan : My dancing is as good as my French.
By Tommy : You sleep in my bed, I take the couch.
By Geraldine : C’est tous les jours la même avec toi !
Nationalities in our group :
Swiss : 3
Spanish : 4
English : 2
Irish : 1
German : 3
Danish : 1
Italien : 1
What I’ve learned about :
The French :
- They do not like foreigners. I’ve been here 3 weeks and not even met one French person. As soon as you say that you don’t speak French, they wish you a happy holiday and turn around.
- They take their time, for everything : walking, driving, eating, drinking.
- The French men are better dancers than the Dutch men.
- They are very fond of their lunch.
- They are friendly, but keep a distance.
- They can cook.
- They can speak English better than we think.
- They eat late (21 :00/22 :00)
- The men dress better than the women (in my opinion).
- The men are also very handsome (a lot of hair and a nice tan)
- In Bordeaux the hipster doesn’t exist, they have the retro punkrocker.
The Germans :
- They are very very very friendly
- They are interested in a lot of subjects
- They are very skilled drinkers
- They like to talk about WO II
- They actually made me think more positive about them
- They are very driven (they have ‘schwung’)
- They know a lot about good food and drinks (but why don’t they cook it themselves ?)
- People from Swiss are very good looking !
- They share more or less the same cultural values with the Dutch.
- They have a great sense of humor.
- They are very polite.
- They are very sportive.
- Their language is a mix of German, French and something Scandinavian.
- They are very rich.
- They have a lot of talents.
- It’s very hard to find the Swiss because they are a bit isolated and there are not a lot of them, but if you do find one it’s so much fun.
- There’s a big difference between the Spanish men and women !
- They have a great sense of humor as well.
- They hate bad service !!
- They think the customer is the king (Dutch expression ;))
- They know exactly what they want and how they want it.
- They are very passionate about everything.
- They like dirty sex 🙂
- They do not talk about sex (or anything that comes close to the heart).
- They like to touch people when they speak to them.
- They have a really heavy accent when they speak another language. It’s almost impossible to decode.
- They have a lot of hair.
- They are very sociable.
- The Spanish men have problems with being on time.
I hope I didn’t offend anyone with this list, but you know, this comes with my boxes !